Nothing beats a bowl of soup to warm the cockles of your heart on a cold rainy evening. Soup is one of my favourite dishes to make. I find there’s something very therapeutic about making a big pot of soup: gently chopping all the ingredients, stirring the soup and leaving it to do it magic, then finally blending it to silky smooth perfection. One of the great things about soup, is that it can be frozen in individual portions so it makes an easy last minute meal when you are tired or the fridge is empty. This recipe has become my staple green soup – it’s light, nourishing and bursting with goodness, and it feels like a good way to begin my blog. It’s served here with a drizzle of walnut oil and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds.
Simple green soup – Vegan, gluten, grain, dairy and sugar free.
Serves 6 – 8
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 350g broccoli head, florets and stalk, chopped
- 200g spinach leaves, washed
- 25g pack of basil, washed
- 1l hot water/low salt vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp seaweed flakes (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the turmeric, onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, over low-medium heat for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the fennel and soften for a few minutes.
- Pour over the water/stock, bring to the boil then simmer covered for 10 minutes until the fennel has cooked.
- Add the broccoli and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes or until cooked through. Add the spinach, stirring until wilted then add the basil and seaweed flakes (if using), take of the heat and cover.
- Leave to stand for a few minutes then blend until silky smooth.
- Serve with a drizzle of the olive/seed/nut oil of your choice.
With Love, Spice and Smile,
I was talking to a woman about seaweed yesterday. . . its not my thing. . . but green soup is! I’d really like to give this one a go. . plus your photos are beautiful!
This is a a great breakfast!… I have been having something similar for years … great stuff! I love the way you write.. its all about the way one feels
Absolutely gorgeous site and photos. Clean and fresh!
Reblogged this on autumnal palettes and commented:
Will be a regular!
Pingback: Spiced Kale, Beetroot and Fennel Soup | Spice & Smile
Amazing soup! I feel alive after eating it
I just made this one – it is perfect for winter dinners and it is going to last me all month! Delicious. xxx
Thanks Hannah! So glad you are enjoying my recipes 🙂 xxx
Just love his soup….a great way to start the day…..love your recipes and your site, so clean and fresh.