Kale, beetroot and fennel – three of the most marvellous vegetables all blended together with fragrant spices into one firecracker of a soup. Yes the colour is a little unexpected, but trust me it tastes and smells amazing. The kale, subtle sweetness of the beetroot and fennel, and warming spices make for a soothing and delicious combination. I wanted a change from my usual green soup (recipe here) and created this one using some of my favourite and super nutritious vegetables. Kale is the superman of green vegetables: one cup of chopped kale contains 33 calories and 9% of the daily value of calcium, 206% of vitamin A, 134% of vitamin C, and 684% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus. Beetroot and fennel are also full of nutrients: beets being a good source of folate (folic acid), potassium, manganese and antioxidants and fennel being rich in vitamin C and fibre.
Spiced Kale, Beetroot and Fennel Soup – Vegan, Gluten, Dairy, Salt and Sugar free
- 300g pack of kale, tough stalks discarded and leaves chopped
- 2 beetroots, peeled weight 300g, chopped into smallish chunks
- 2 fennel bulbs, chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame oil/olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp hot chilli powder, or to taste
- 1.5l water/vegetable stock
- Heat the oil over low-medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the onion, garlic, fennel seeds and turmeric and cook, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes until softened then add the fennel and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the beetroot, remaining spices and water and cover with a lid. Bring up to a boil, then lower the heat and leave to simmer for 25-30 minutes, adding the kale in the last 5 minutes of cooking time, until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool for a few minutes, then blend using a hand held blender or high speed blender until smooth. Add extra water if needed to thin soup to desired consistency.
- Serve and Enjoy!
*I can’t exactly remember how many portions I got out of this soup, but it made a really big pot of I think at least 8-10 portions…
With Love, Spice and Smile,
When do you add the kale? The soup looks delicious, I cannot wait to make it!
Sorry about that, I forgot to mention the kale! I’ve amended the recipe now, you just add it in the last couple of minutes of cooking time till tender. Thank you, and enjoy the soup!
Just made the soup and it was really really delicious! I’ll admit I was dubious before i made it but I wanted to give it ago and I’m so glad I did! Keep posting, really enjoying your recipes so far.
I made this on the weekend…it was fantastic. It felt so nourishing and warming. thank you Thais, your recipes are lovely…keep sharing, it’s much appreciated. x
I just made this and it looks and smells gorgeous! Another truly simple and supportive meal! Thank you Thais xxx
Thanks Hannah! 🙂 xxx