This dish doesn’t need much introduction; it’s quick and easy to make, looks great and tastes amazing. The spiced crispy salmon goes perfectly with the sweet slivers of roast fennel, crisp rocket, crunchy flaked almonds and refreshing herbs. The only thing is, it only works with the rose harissa by Belazu (sold at Waitrose, Ocado, Wholefoods…). A lot of harissas are bulked up with tomatoes and vegetables, whilst the Belazu one is just made with chilli, paprika, oil, spices, salt and roses and really is the best in flavour and quality.
Harissa Salmon, Roast Fennel and Rocket Salad with Flaked almonds and herbs
- 4 fillets of organic salmon
- 1 tbsp rose harissa (this one)
- 1 large fennel bulb (or two small ones)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pack of rocket, washed
- olive oil
- lemon juice (no more than half a lemon)
- 1 small bunch of mint, stalks discarded
- 1 small bunch of coriander, stalks discarded
- toasted flaked almonds (see tip below)
- Cut each salmon fillet into 2/3 pieces then place in a bowl. Add the harissa and gently massage all over the fish. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for a few hours or at least 30 minutes if short on time.
- Preheat oven to 200C fan.
- Quarter the fennel then using a mandoline or sharp knife, finely slice it horizontally no more than a few mm thin. Toss in 1 tbsp of olive oil and some black pepper then spread out on a baking tray lined with foil. Roast in the oven, stirring halfway, for about 20 minutes till soft and browned. Set aside.
- While the fennel is cooking, place the rocket into large bowl and drizzle with olive oil and a dash of lemon juice and pepper. Toss well then lay out onto a platter/large plate.
- Take the salmon out of the fridge. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat with about 1-2 tsp olive oil. Once hot add the salmon pieces to the pan, being carefully of the hot sizzling oil. Leave to cook on each side for a few minutes depending on the thickness of each piece until crispy and browned. Once cooked through and crisp all over, remove each piece from the pan and place on a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
- Arrange the roasted fennel on top of the rocket then sprinkle over the leaves of coriander and mint. Place the salmon pieces of top and scatter over the toasted flaked almonds
- Serve with extra greens on the side.
Tip: Toasted flaked almonds can be bought ready toasted at some supermarkets/shops like Waitrose, but to toast your own spread out some flaked almonds on a baking tray then roast for 7-8 minutes in a preheated oven at 190C.
With Love, Spice and Smile,