If you’re trying to cut down on the carbs like bread, rice and pasta, but still feel the need for something more satisfying, try swapping your usual starchy side for pulses like this herby white bean salad. This recipe honestly takes less that ten minutes to prepare and is bursting with goodness and flavour. I add loads of fresh herbs to lighten it up, sumac for tang, chilli for bite and a light dressing of olive and lemon. As long as you have some tinned beans in the cupboard, the only fresh things you need are some herbs and lemons. You can customise it to your liking depending on what you have on hand. Here are just a few flavour combinations to perk up your bean salad:
- fresh coriander, dill, olive oil, lime juice, chilli, garlic, spring onions.
- basil, rocket, toasted pine nutes, lemon, olive oil, chopped tomatoes.
- grated carrot, parsley, black sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon.
- chopped avocado, mint, red onion, olive oil, lemon.
Quick Herby Bean Salad – Vegan, Gluten, Grain, Dairy, Sugar free
- 1 400g tin cannellini beans in water (no added salt)
- 25g pack flat-leaf parsley
- 25g pack chives
- 1-2 red chillies
- 2 tsp sumac
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- black pepper
Rinse and drain the beans then set aside. Finely chop the herbs and deseed the chilli and finely chop. Place in a medium bowl and add the beans and remaining ingredients. Gently toss till nicely combined. Serve!
With Love, Spice and Smile,