I made this over the Summer when I was having fun experimenting in the kitchen to come up with a light lunch alternative to salad. Using a vegetable peeler I created noodles out of a large cucumber and tossed them with leftover salmon and oriental flavours such as toasted sesame oil, seaweed flakes and chilli. This is one to really have fun with and customise to your heart’s content.
It’s Winter here in the Northern hemisphere now but we are going into the New Year and everyone loves a ‘clean’ recipe for January with all those New Year’s resolutions to lose weight or get healthy… Speaking of New Year’s resolutions, here is an article that offers a truly self-loving and sustainable alternative to the overly ambitious goals we set up for January (and most likely fail to fulfil):
So whilst you eat this lovely cucumber salad, remember that it’s not about eating the ‘perfec’ healthy diet; it’s about developing a loving and honest relationship with your body and applying that to all areas of your life, not just food.
Cucumber Noodles with Salmon – Serves 1
- 1 large cucumber (don’t waste the lovely small ‘lebanese cucumbers’ on this, a nice fat cucumber is best!)
- leftover cooked salmon (poached/pan-fried/baked – I bake my fillets with a little olive oil, turmeric and black pepper at 200C for about 14 minutes depending on size).
Flavourings to experiment with:
- toasted sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- chilli flakes
- seaweed flakes
- garlic infused olive oil
- chopped fresh coriander/chives/dill
- chopped spring onions
- fresh chilli
Optional serving suggestions:
- sliced avocado
- a boiled egg
- green salad leaves like rocket and spinach
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the skin of the cucumber and discard. To create the noodles, simply peel long flat strands of cucumber flesh working around until you reach the water seeds which you can discard.
- Place the noodles in a bowl and toss through the oil and various seasonings. Flake the salmon and stir through.
- Eat ASAP and enjoy!
With Love, Spice and Smile,